Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Opinion, Opinion!

What's wrong with being opinionated? We have a freedom of speech! And that said right doesn't only apply to males! Plus, we, women are naturally verbal! Yes, yes, yes... but don't you know that we also have a right called, "right to remain silent"?

While it is true that this modern world we are living in applauds a woman who is dressed with confidence in expressing herself through her opinions, it is also true that this kind of a woman doesn't necessarily agree with what God calls beautiful.

A bloviating woman is obnoxious. Who would be happy around a blabbermouth? And who would not feel trampled down around an opinionated woman? Expressing opinions is not wrong. What makes it wrong is when you do it to draw attention to yourself or to raise yourself above others. In other words, pride and selfishness! The Bible warns us that pride precedes destruction.

I speak from experience. I admit I have a tendency of using my opinions to lift myself above others. But thanks be to Christ who doesn't cease His work of perfecting me into His likeness by correcting, teaching and rebuking me through His Word. Now, every time I air my opinions, I ask myself this question first, "Is my opinion for the good of others? Is it pleasing to God?" If the answer is "no" I try to keep it to myself. Otherwise, I would be blowing my own trumpet.

I love this verse...

Matthew 6:2 says, " Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward."

Back to opinions... this is what I have learned in life... when we are young and we know only a little about life we love to have so many opinions and we can't stop talking about them. But when we mature and know so much about life we tend to get quieter.

No comments: